A Westchester Family Tradition
Preplanning a Funeral
What are some of the benefits of preplanning a funeral?
Preplanning a funeral allows an individual to make specific choices for a funeral service based on personal preferences. It ensures peace of mind, and relieves the individual’s loved ones of a decision-making process at a stressful time. Preplanning also sets aside funeral funding so that the family will not have to deal with monetary considerations when a death occurs. Prepaying funeral costs can be financially beneficial by paying for a future funeral at today’s costs. It gives you comfort that your funeral will take place according to your own wishes, and eases the burden on your family members.
What are the steps in preplanning a funeral?
- Set an appointment to meet with one our funeral directors to explore options and discuss costs. Once the details of the funeral have been determined, the funeral director will prepare a preneed agreement and fully itemized statement. Preplanning arrangements are portable, and can be changed at the consumer’s direction.
- The consumer has several choices for payment of the preneed agreement. One is to prepay in full. These funds must be deposited in a trust account within ten days according to New York State law. The Sinatra Family of Funeral Homes participate in NYSFDA’s PrePlan premier funeral funding program available to NYSFDA member funeral directors and the families they serve.
- Family members, one’s attorney and the estate executor should be advised about the preplan agreement and where the relevant documents are stored.
The choice is yours, as personal as you wish, made with us in total confidence - without undue stress.
At Sinatra Family of Funeral Homes, we understand that no one wants to arrange a funeral....unfortunately, at some point, you or someone you love may have to. That's why we think a little pre planning now can make a big difference.
Whether you decide to preplan or not...we will explain all your options. We'll provide you with a detailed breakdown of costs. We'll show you ways to save money now and in the future. We will explain to you how a fully funded prearrangement with us can be guaranteed against future price increases.
Funerals matter and so does your peace of mind.
Our Pre-Planning Services include:
- Our pre-planning directors will meet with you to answer all your questions... at no cost or obligation.
- We will create a record of family information.
- We will help you create a record of your wishes and desires.
- You may select specific services and merchandise that fit within your budget.
- We will work together to find flexible funding options.
- We guarantee our charges not to increase once fully funded.
Our one step online pre-planning form was designed to allow you to begin the process of gathering information. It will guide you through some of the questions we may ask and help you to start collecting your thoughts about the kind of service you may want to consider. You may chose to complete this form and email it to us or call us so that we can go over the details together.
What is PrePlan™?
Pre Plan™ is a unique secured trust fund holding monies set aside for individuals' burial expenses. This special co-mingled trust was established in 1988 by the New York State Funeral Directors Association in order to provide a completely safe and competitive vehicle for funeral directors to place their clients' prefunded accounts.
How PrePlan™ Works?
- You meet with a funeral director who offers PrePlan™.
- You select desired merchandise and services.
- You will receive a fully itemized statement and contract.
- Your check is made payable to PrePlan™.
- The funeral director forwards the contract and check to the PrePlan™ offices for immediate deposit.
- Shortly after, you receive a deposit acknowledgment.
- At the completion of the funeral, payment is forwarded directly to the funeral director.
How is PrePlan™ Administered?
A PrePlan™ account is opened and your money is deposited on the exact day the PrePlan™ Trustees receive your contract, social security number certification, and payment. Your account begins earning the highest rate of interest in the PrePlan's time deposit, pooled investment. Interest will vary with money market and CD rates. Funds are placed in FDIC insured bank deposit account(s), certificates of deposit in a bank within the State of New York, and other investments permitted by law.
What if you are applying for SSI/Medicaid Assistance?
If you or someone in your family will be applying for assistance under one of these programs, contact a Director at a Sinatra Family Funeral Home. Federal and State law provide that properly trusted assets intended for the payment of funeral expenses will not be considered as a resource when eligibility is determined. Setting aside monies for burial expenses is now extremely simplified. See one of our Directors for further information.
NOTE: New York State law mandates that all contracts for prefunded funerals executed by applicants for, or recipients of, Medicaid be irrevocable.
More About PrePlan™?
Administered by the state trade association for funeral directors, PrePlan™ offers both revocable and irrevocable accounts. Each revocable account in the PrePlan™ is, at all times, totally refundable to the Purchaser with interest and without penalty. Irrevocable accounts are set up for applicants for, or recipients of, SSI/Medicaid and must be nonrefundable to comply with Chapter 660 of New York State Law.
Questions and Answers
Why should anyone pre-plan or pre-pay a funeral?
- To beat inflation - A pre-arrangement offers cost protection, so that you may pay for future funeral services at today's prices.
- PRE-PLANNING freezes the price of the funeral, so your pre-paid funeral fund and accumulated interest will pay for everything in accordance with your wishes.To lessen the burden - Decisions on funeral arrangements and costs can be made today, so that family members will not have to deal with these difficult decisions immediately after the loss of a loved one.
We plan for so much in our lives, from college to retirement. PRE-PLANNING is just as important.
What are the requirements?
PRE-PLANNING is not insurance, so there is no age limit or medical exam.
Can PRE-PLANNING be canceled?
Yes, you can cancel, without penalty, unless it is an irrevocable Medicaid Trust.
If I relocate, can I use pre arrangements to pay for a funeral somewhere else?
Yes, you may transfer your pre arrangement funds at any time. Or, if you choose a different funeral provider who may not be able to offer the exact same funeral with our guaranteed price, you may use the pre arrangement funds.
Do you allow time payments?
Yes, The total amount for the Pre-Funded funeral is stated in the agreement and you may pay in installments without finance charges.
What is the next step?
- Call and make an appointment with any Sinatra Family Funeral Home.
An experienced Advance Planning Counselor will help guide you through all of the considerations and alternatives, in your home, or at our office.
A written agreement is then presented for your approval.
Payments can be made now, or in monthly installments over a one-year period.
Your funds are deposited in an FDIC Insured Bank and you are the owner of this Trust account. A Sinatra Family Funeral Home receives the funds only at the time of death.
All pre-arranged funeral merchandise and services are guaranteed without additional costs to you.
Why should I Pre-Arrange with a Sinatra Family Funeral Home?
- We will be there for you when you need us. We serve Westchester, Rockland, Putnam and Bronx counties, including the surrounding areas.
- We will provide you with extraordinary service.
- We serve all families with the same care, respect, and professionalism.
- You will appreciate our convenient located and welcoming facilities.